Monday, February 19, 2007

The Smiths in Uncut Issue

The British magazine Uncut have a special on The Smiths in their March issue. I don't know why it's already out since it's just February. I bought the magazine as soon as I saw it in my local music shop and it was a pleasant reading. They had ranked the 30 Greatest Smiths songs and let musicians and other celebrities comment on the tracks. Here's the Top 5:

1. How Soon Is Now
2. The Queen Is Dead
3. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
4. What Difference Does It Make
5. This Charming Man

One of my absolute favorite Smiths songs, actually one of my all time favorite songs, I Know It's Over was just ranked #10 witch I thought was a bit unfair. It wasn't that surprising to see How Soon Is Now at #1. It's probably the song that non-Smiths/Morrissey fans are most familiar with. How Soon Is Now is truly an amazing song with a very melancholic and moving lyric and the guitar riff is just fantastic. The comments was interesting to read as well and I got really touched by The Shins's singer James Mercer way of describing his bond to Morrissey. I actually shred a tear when I read it. I think I'll quote him:

I bought The Queen Is Dead soon after I got to UK and it was a big deal for me. At that time I was craving for something that expressed that sense of melancholy. It was so gentle. I needed somebody to just be accepting of me - you felt that the guy singing this song wouldn't judge you.

The last sentence about Morrissey not judging is so true. I completely understand what he means by that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is it true, that Morrissey didnt like "..soon.."?